Now this is a common complaint about Vindictus, that it's US and Canada only, and when or even if it comes out in Europe or the rest of the world for that matter will be a long way off.
And for those who aren't tech savvy enough, this is a very real, and very frustrating problem.
However, there are ways around the problem, and once you know how, it's easy to get Vindicuts running no matter where you live.
This will be my step by step guide to running Vindictus via proxy.
Living in New Zealand, I had little other choice but to figure this out if I wanted to play this awesome game. And I did, and now so will you.
Note: This guide is subject to change as new version of Vindictus come out, so some parts may or may not work in the future, please use your best judgement.
If worse comes to worse, email me at Yoh_SL@yahoo.co.nz.
I don't tend to notice comments.
As of16 May, 2011 update, I no longer support using the Vidictuslauncher.exe, and have removed it from the guide. Connecting via Vindictus website work just as well.
I also no long play the game, so updates will be few and far between.
1. Naturally, download Vindictus, and install it.
2. Download ProxyFirewall and install it. This is freeware, but it needs to be registered when the program first starts. You are then emailed a activation key, copy and paste it into the program, then press 'Activate'.
3. Open ProxyFirewall. I doubles as a firewall, so whenever an application attempts to access the internet, ProxyFirewall will prompt a response as to weather to block, allow, or use a proxy for that application.
When you use Vindictus, select the 'Allow (no proxy)' option.
(as well as any application you intend on using)
4. Go to www.xroxy.com - country 'US' - proxy type 'Socks5'.
5. Find a IP address with a high reliability. Unlike some programs, ProxyFirewall will function with almost any SOCK5 IP and port.
6. Highlight the IP address once you find one. (keep xroxy open, trust me)
7. In ProxyFirewall goto the 'Open Proxies' tab - Add Proxies - type in the highlighted IP and port from Xroxy into the correct fields - tick SOCK5 - Add to List - OK.
8. Make sure that Vindictus.exe, and Nmservice.exe are set to 'Allow All Connections' in the Rules tab.
If they do not appear there, ProxyFirewall will prompt them once you start Vindictus.
9. Log into Vindictus via their website.
10: Press the 'Start Game' button when you have everything set up.
11: Vindictus should then load.
12: Wait until the splash screen is up on Vindictus.
13: Alt-tab, go to ProxyFirewall.
Rules - find and select 'Vindictus.exe' - Edit Rule - tick 'Use Proxy Server' - click 'Click here to select a proxy server'.
14. Open up the drop down tab of 'Open Proxies' - SOCKS Proxies - select the previously entered IP and port - OK - OK.
15. Back to Vindictus. Press 'START GAME'.
If you have done everything right, the game will then go to the character selection screen.
(you will get an message that your IP is different each time you change your IP - Ignore this)
Sometimes lag will interfer, just try a couple of times.
If however you do not log in correctly, go back and check all your settings.
Again, make sure that your IP is recent and that you are logged in on their website.
If in doubt, try again, sometimes it just acts up.
16. Now you can either select one of your characters or make a new one.
17. Enter the game. Once the game has loaded, alt-tab and go into ProxyFirewall.
Rules tab - find and select Vindictus.exe - Edit Rule - Allow (no proxy) - OK.
You do not need a proxy server to play the game, but only to login to the game.
MAKE SURE TO STOP USING THE PROXY WHILE PLAYING THE GAME!
IT WILL CRASH OTHERWISE, ESP WITH THE MARKET PLACE!
18. Now enjoy the game.
I hope this little guide helps more people play the game and clear up some of the confusion that's out there around using proxy's.
If you have any more questions, by all means use the comments section.
Edit note: I originally used a program called Proxifier for this guide, but as it was only a trial, I had to find a more reliable program, which is ProxyFirewall.